Sunday, November 15, 2015

Candy Cane Cowl

A friend and I signed up for a charity run in Chicago...in December...in our underwear. Wanting to be festive (and slightly warmer), I churned out these cute cowls in a thick candy cane stripe.


I haven't really seen anything like these on Ravelry, so I'm sharing the pattern for your enjoyment. I'm sure it could be converted to knitting fairly easily, probably a garter stitch pattern made similar to this technique, except connected as a cowl rather than hanging as a scarf.

Candy Cane Cowl

Yarn needed:
  • 1 skein Simply Soft in Harvest Red
  • 1 skein Simply Soft in White
(Gauge or type of yarn is not particularly important.)

With red: 

Ch 40.
Row 1: Sc into 2nd ch from hook and across. Ch 1, turn.
Row 2: Sk 1 st; sc in each st across until last st; sc 2 in last st. Ch 1, turn.
Row 3: Sc 2 in 1st st; sc in each st across until last 2 sts; sc2tog. Ch 1, turn.
Row 4: Sk 1 st; sc in each st across until last st; sc 2 in last st. Ch 1, turn.

Rep rows 3 and 4 for remainder of scarf, alternating red and white as desired, or as follows (to achieve results in photos above): 

14 rows red
14 rows white
14 rows red
14 rows white

This is a total of four stripes and 56 rows.

Sew diagonal ends together and weave in ends.

Update: I made another one for a friend with repeats of 8 rows for each color, four times. Here it is, and I think I like it even better than the other one:


2 comments:

robynlicious said...

Tech edit alert!

row 2 should read: Row 2: Sk 1 st; sc in each st across until last ch; sc 2 in last st. Ch 1, turn.

Three cheers for bias crochet!

Valerie said...

Updated! Thanks, Robyn. (Except each "ch" should say "st," so I changed even more than you listed in your comment above.)

Bias crocheters unite!