Saturday, September 03, 2011

Date night

I've been sitting on an Groupon-like deal for Geja's Cafe for about a year, and it was about to expire, so I asked Dave to go on a date with me to Lincoln Park.

I had a couple of things I've been meaning to do there, including a few walks from the Chicago Walks card pack, so we went up a little early. First things first, shopping on Armiitage Avenue. We stopped by the Vosges flagship store to get a box of truffles.


I picked the Aztec box, which has my favorite chocolate bar in truffle form: Red Fire. There are also Mexican vanilla and chocolate truffles and dulce de leche chocolate truffles, both of which were delicious.

We also got some cute Charley Harper bird cards from Paper Source, one of my favorite stationery stores.

Next stop was Oz Park, with lovely statues from the book and movie. My favorite was the Tin Man, although we also saw the Scarecrow and Dorothy / Toto.

Then we headed over to Geja's and pondered what to order. They have a pretty fabulous wine list, a romantic decor, and a mouth-watering fondue list. We went for one of the fondue meals, which includes salad, cheese fondue, oil / meat fondue with dipping sauces, and chocolate fondue. We also split a bottle of red wine from Wisconsin!


The cheese fondue was our favorite, and according to our waiter, the recipe is on the restaurant website, so I guess I have to print that out. I got the chicken and scallops with the main course, and even though the scallops had trouble staying on the skewer, they were still some of the best scallops I've ever had. Dave got the beef, lobster, and shrimp.

The funnest part of dinner was when they lit the chocolate fondue on fire - or rather, they lit the orange liqueur on top of the fondue. We roasted marshmallows on that fire, then dipped them in chocolate and graham crackers. I could get used to that.

Thanks to my hubby for an indulgent date night!

No comments: