Thursday, July 14, 2011

Bastille Day

It's Bastille Day, so I took my own advice and bought some French food on the commute home. I was a little early to the train station, so I bought a s'more mousse pastry concoction at Vanille in the French Market.


That's a vanilla cookie on bottom, covered with chocolate mousse, with crumbled graham crackers and toasted homemade marshmallows on top. I figured it was a suitably delicious way to celebrate the French!

After work, though, there was something far less fun to do: I attended a wake for a cousin-in-law of mine who recently died after a gastric bypass surgery. I don't see him very often, but I had only just talked with him at my Uncle Ed's Fourth of July party. We spoke for a while about canning and making wine, and I just got the impression that he was so looking forward to things in life, especially after he would lose the weight after surgery.

He was a man who loved life, and a man worth celebrating. He had a huge turnout of family and friends, which wasn't surprising.

On my way home, I was treated to a beautiful sunset:


I thought a lot about my philosophy of trying to enjoy life minute by minute, because you really don't know when you're going to go. I guess that philosophy was really brought home to me today.

I was also thinking about life cycles: I had the wake tonight, I have a wedding on Saturday, and a house warming party on Sunday. If someone gives birth sometime this weekend, it will be the full circle of life! Tons of my friends are giving birth every year, so I really do feel like a witness to the the life phases my friends and family are going through. But after so many deaths and divorces this year, I think I am really looking forward to the four weddings in the next month.

No comments: