Monday, May 17, 2010

Shrooms & herbs (the legal kind)

Got some crazy things for this year's porch harvest, and some not-so-crazy things. I'm excited, but too bad it's still freaking cold out.

First things first: I am sprouting mushrooms out of a big log!


My friend Paul suggested this phenomenon to me, and what you do is buy a log that's seeded with mushrooms, and then soak it periodically and get the mushrooms to grow a few times a year, basically until whenever it stops (three to four years). I got a shiitake log, and a brown oyster log is on its way. I will have to update the blog when it actually sprouts something.

The herbs I got so far are basil (my yearly favorite) and some Greek oregano. I like oregano a lot, but it's the first time I've planted any. Apparently it has one of the highest antioxidant levels in nature, so I went ahead and got some this year.


Usually I plant them outside, but it is too cold out and I was afraid the delicate herbs would wilt. It was tough to plant them indoors, but it helped to keep Max inside his cage.

I am probably going to stop at Home Depot or Lowe's again this week and pick up some rosemary, tarragon, and maybe some mint. I've got quite a bit of soil left, and I'm just filling up my empty pots right now. I should have a nice crop going in a few weeks!

No comments: