Friday, January 23, 2009

Saving the world

In this crappy economy, and with my depressing job search underway, it's easy to feel overwhelmed and helpless. However, in the spirit of President Obama's call to service, I spent some time last night doing some good for the world (and for myself).

First, I started putting together a care package for our troops overseas. (So far I only have chap stick and tooth paste, but I plan to get some notebooks and stationery soon.)

Next, I signed a nationwide petition in support of marriage rights for same-sex couples. In that same vein, I created a Facebook event to spread the word about Freedom to Marry Week in February (more on that later).

Finally, I sent off e-mails to Arm & Hammer and Unilever to encourage them to stop testing their products on animals. Apparently Unilever doesn't test much anymore, but I still think they should take an official stand against this brutal practice. (If you were curious, there are lists online of companies that do test on animals, as well as those that don't.)

I also still want to have a stitch and bitch with local knitters and crocheters to make scarves for charity. I guess I should do that before winter ends, huh? Anyhoo I called the Palatine Park District to see if I could rent a room there for free some night.

I really think that focusing yourself on good causes helps you to feel less bad for yourself when things aren't going your way. It's also a really good way to help those less fortunate than yourself, and maybe even kickstart the economy. And don't forget about the world.

No comments: