Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Here come the nifty fifties!


Today my mom turns 50! I saw her on Saturday for a Smith ladies' dinner, and in my card I told her that I'm counting on her to do 50 more. I don't know what I would do without her!

I've been going through old photos lately to complete my Disney World scrapbook, and I found these, which show Mom at Disney World in 1986. (Yes, that's three-year-old me in the dolphin stroller at Sea World.)

It's strange to think how times have changed - and not just the hair-dos, either. But it's comforting to know that no matter what happens, the common threads between those times and now are the relationships we have with the people we love.

(And, of course, we always have memories. And incriminating photographs.)

We can't possibly become the people we are without the people who helped us immeasurably along the way. My mom often comments that she's so happy that Michelle and I have turned out the way we have, but it's in large part thanks to her and Dad that we have lots of friends, went to college, and know how to make smart choices. It's no accident that Michelle and I never ended up in the police blotter - unlike some other people we know.

So have a happy birthday, Mom - maybe we'll make it back to Disney World again someday, when I finally give you those grandchildren. Until then, we'll just keep our names out of the police blotter for you.

1 comment:

Sara Sherman said...

Okay Valerie, you made me cry. You knew you would, right? What a nice post, thank you. No rush on the grandkids, and if there never are any from you or Michelle, I can live with that (besides, I see changing diapers in my future - it probably will be on Dad!) Thanks also to you and Michelle for not being in the police blotter. It's the little things in life right? Love, your AARP Mom