Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Stress of intimidation

OK, so I'm downtown in the computer lab waiting for the next (and last) phases of orientation to start, and I have some thoughts about school thus far.

Orientation has been very informative, and happily it has taken some of the mystery out of law school. I know all about the differences between state and federal court systems; I know how to brief a case; I know what "mens rea" means, thank you very much, Legally Blonde.

However, one thing I am hearing over and over again from nearly every speech I've heard is: 1) they know we have heard about law school horror stories, 2) they want to tell us that law school is scary, and 3) they want to tell us law school will be the hardest thing we have ever done.

I appreciate the idea that law school is "a marathon, not a sprint." But if you keep telling me how scary something is, you're only making it more scary. And I'm sorry, but with the varied degrees and professions that incoming students have attained, I doubt any program could confidently say that law school will be universally the hardest thing we have ever done.

I mean, some of these students have children! Small, screaming children at home! I consider that to be more intimidating than law school, yet law school is doing everything it can to intimidate me.

So, again, I'm trying not to be intimidated, and I'm reeeeally trying not to let my Type A personality competitive streak take over. We'll see how it goes!

4 comments:

Meesh said...

you know you will do just fine, quit kidding yourself. you're one of the smartest people i know, and if anyone can go through it, YOU CAN!!!

by the way, isu is jacking me around every chance it gets. if you have any problems with your school, ask me to tell you about the shit ive already been through in the first week~

Julie said...

Val, I think you should let your Type A competitive streak shine, after all, isn't competitiveness what law school is all about? Really, they're just trying to weed out the people who are just there to make the $$$$, and don't really have the drive or dedication.

Michelle, what happened? Any professors or offices I should yell at for you? ;-)

Valerie said...

Aww, thanks guys.

Hey Chelle, I think you should end every comment and post with "Arrr!!!"

Meesh said...

all the problems i've had have been because of transferring. the parking sucks, my credits didnt transfer right, etc. arr!!