Monday, August 21, 2006

A Blue Demon is Born

Well, I made it.

I made it to school on the first day, and to orientation, and all of it. Woo hoo!

I don't really know what I thought would stop me - I think somewhere in my mind, I pictured that the fates of the world couldn't let me attend school, and that legions of leprechauns would attack me at the train station, preventing me from getting downtown. Or, perhaps I would make it to the orientation library, only to fall into a dark pit at the bottom of the escalator and be crushed by the onslaught of eager young law students.

In any case, I managed to dodge the leprechauns, although I did get a scare at the train station because damn Metra doesn't accept credit cards, so I had to run to a Chase ATM nearby before my train arrived. Sheesh! And to think the leprechauns almost got me, with their card-scorning, cash-loving scheme!

I made it downtown to attend orientation and get other affairs sorted out, including having my I.D. picture taken! (Much better than Dave's last Virginia Tech "Arab terrorist" I.D.)

And I couldn't have sat at a better table during lunch. Here I am, trying not to be intimidated by the trust fund babies and brainiacs who read all the casebooks over the summer, and I sit directly across from a vapid Britney Spears super-clone, whose main subject of interest was the most recent episode of "The Simple Life."

Hey - if she can make it through law school, so can I. (Although I'm not making any promises about her prospects of success, particularly if any of her classes interfere with reruns of shows on the WB.)

And in my first class of legal writing, I volunteered - twice! Yay for me!

OK, I've got to finish some more homework now, but I do feel better about this whole law school thing. At least, right now I do. Talk to me again in December right before finals...the only grade of the semester.

But, in the eternal words of Scarlett O'Hara: I won't think about that now...I'll think about that tomorrow!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of my Val! A note, however: keep imitating Miss Scahlett and not only will you have trouble with those nightly assignments, but people will start asking you what it's like to be a Sherman from Georgia. :)

Sara Sherman said...

Valerie:
No need to worry or be intimidated at all. I know I was when I first went back and started taking college classes, but soon I realized if all these people could do this, so can I. If the lawyers that I have been in contact with over the years could do it, CERTAINLY you can. And you should consider yourself in the category of brainiacs, by the way. Love, Mom

Meesh said...

i was pretty intimidated by isu's size, which i know is stupid- its not that big. its just so much bigger than bradley and i came it knowing virtually no one. im getting over that now, despite the fact that im constantly going back to bradley haha