Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Ireland/Scotland, Day 6: Glasgow, Oban

We woke up in Glasgow and walked around exploring - it reminded me of Chicago and I'd love to go back!

We visited Glasgow Cathedral, which had beautiful stone arches and morning light. The grave of St. Mungo is in the lower level; Harry Potter readers will note that name!

After the cathedral, we wanted to take a spin past the Lord Wellington statue in front of the Gallery of Modern Art, which is a cheeky little piece of classical-turned-modern art. The cone comes on, the cone goes off (but lately it seems to be on). He is sassy! The gallery was neat to run through, too, with lots of glass to ogle.

Next, we took our rental car out of town to Oban, where we ate at the tasty seafood shack (literally called "Green Shack" on a lot of guides and Google Maps) and got Dave more whisky tastings at Oban Distillery. My friend had recently been to Oban and found some yarn bombs, but I didn't find them.

Check out the neat moss that I found on the bay walls in Oban - love the different stripes and colors!

We continued into the highlands, where we got dinner and ciders at Clachaig Inn in Glencoe. You can stay there, too, but we didn't. Dave got his first haggis there, and I got vegetarian haggis, which was delightful. 

Driving through Glencoe and the Highlands was stunning; I'll have more photos tomorrow from the hike. It was hard to drive around when I wanted to look at it all!

No comments: