Monday, September 25, 2023

Cooking resolutions complete!

I had several cooking-related resolutions this year, including to preserve / can again this year, as I didn't do it at all last year, and to make a list of recipes from Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child (volume 1).

On the first, I pickled day lilies in July when they were budding - they were tasty! Dave even liked them, and he is very dubious about foraged foods generally.

We also planted tomato plants for making sauce, including San Marzanos and Romas (and others for eating off the vine). 

Stored the tomatoes in the oven to ripen away from fruit flies

They started bearing fruit in August, so I picked them, boiled to remove skins, ran through a food mill, and kept adding it to a large pot of sauce in the fridge (and boiling every few days to reduce and sanitize). I finally canned the sauce when the tomatoes were (mostly) done in September.

The list of Julia Child recipes I wanted to make included the following, and when I made them:

  • Aïgo Bouïdo (January)
  • Poached eggs (February)
  • Oeufs à la Bourguignonne (August)
  • Shirred eggs aux fines herbes (March)
  • Oeufs en cocotte aux fines herbes (March)
  • Quiche au Camembert (July)
  • Fish filets poached in wine (September)
  • Cassoulet (January)
  • Creamed Brussels sprouts (January)
  • Baked cucumbers (August)
  • Chocolate mousse (September)
  • Chocolate soufflé (February)
  • Peach tart (August)
  • Crêpes Suzette (February)
  • Gâteau a l'orange with chocolate frosting (February)
  • Queen of Sheba cake (January)

The baked cucumbers were especially a surprise - I remember reading about this recipe from Julie & Julia and being curious. I worried they'd be mush, but they were zippy and tasty! The quiche au Camembert was a favorite, as the chocolate mousse always is (I've made it before). I was proud of myself for learning to poach eggs.

Sorry for no photos - I ate it all too fast!!

No comments: