Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Resolution recap 2022

How did I do on my resolutions and goals for 2022?

1. Study Russian language, culture, and history

This was for a planned trip to Russia that was delayed from 2020 to 2021 to 2022...and then the war happened. I was doing well with it until then, studying Russian on Duolingo and reading short stories from Russian authors. I nixed this one when the trip was cancelled / delayed indefinitely.

2. Stay connected to friends and family

Moving to Maine, it was important to stay connected to friends and family near and far. I did a lot of social media posts at the beginning and a few emails with photos and stories. Overall I did well with this, but I have goals to make 1:1 contact with a list of close family and friends next year - a call, a letter, something besides social media or a text.

3. Discover businesses in Maine and support them

Overall did great with this one, especially at the beginning when there was so much to discover. We still want to find more black-owned businesses in Maine (it's tough) and try to support local small businesses versus big chains (except LL Bean, of course).

Dave has been hitting the Maine beer trail app, and I'm along for the ride, so those have all been wonderful discoveries and small businesses, too.

4. Consistent meditation

Not so consistent with this; I'm finishing out the year with a new year's retreat and will start 2023 by re-reading Joseph Goldstein's month of mindfulness book as I've done the last two years. I'm carrying this over as a goal for next year.

5. Build arm & leg strength

Did OK with this in the first part of the year when we were going to a gym more often, but after we moved and Dave couldn't use the college gym yet, we fell off. Added this as a goal for next year, too.

6. Spend more time outdoors

Did great with this one - Maine offers tons of hikes, boat rides, walks, and other ways to stay outside. In the first part of the year we did a lot of hikes, especially to one cemetery we liked in Gardiner, Maine. In the latter part of the year, we did a lot of yardwork, which I enjoy.

Hiking in the Belgrade Lakes with our buddy, Mike
7. Notice cravings

This was about watching my cravings for snacks, desserts, and stopping eating when I am full. I am up and down with this one. In fact, in the times of the year where I did eat too much and needed to cut back, I did feel the difference right away and put a halt to the gain, helping me hold to around 160 lb., my best in years.

8. Get better about fixing things around the house (and car) myself

With our move, I think we did this a great deal, trying to do as much ourselves as we could, including sealing our driveway cracks, installing raised garden beds, painting, putting up artwork, tightening hinges, and more. I guess home ownership will do that to you (when it's a single family home rather than a condo).

9. Record my dreams more frequently in a dream diary

I did this in the first half of the year, but less in the second. I find them interesting and could probably discover things about my subconscious if I did this more, but often I don't remember them because I do usually sleep pretty well, and also sometimes there just isn't enough to analyze.

10. Work through my Ravelry queue and yarn stash

I definitely did this, although I did acquire more yarn stash from the beautiful Maine yarn stores and fiber festivals. I need to yarn bomb more next year to really have fun in Maine and feel like a local.

Some Jagger Spun purchased at the Maine Fiber Frolic

11. Go camping

Total fail - try again next year. I have tasked Dave with organizing this.

12. Join Daughters of the American Revolution

Managed this one almost immediately, in January. I renewed in the fall and intend to add more patriots over time. I will also share what I learn with my family. Genealogy is a good winter project for me.

13. Earn beach badge on Untappd

Earned in May, although we had a few beaches earlier in the year. I believe our last beer for this badge was earned on a beach on Mt. Desert Island as we visited Acadia in May.

14. Earn ski area badge on Untappd

Total fail!

15. Attend a northeast fiber festival

Win, twice over - I attended both the New Hampshire fiber festival in May and the Maine Fiber Frolic in June. Both were amazing and boasted many live sheep and alpacas, natural fibers, and local makers.

16. Attend a northeast beer festival

Also a win, three times over. First was the Beers without Beards festival in Portland in February or so, then Bangor beer festival in April, then Skowhegan beer fest in September. We met some friends at one of them that we've seen a few times - they are our only new Maine friends that didn't come from my office! So, definitely a resounding success here.

17. Lose weight to 160 lb. 

I got on Noom last year and was able to achieve 160 lb. - something that had eluded me for several years - in February. I went a few pounds under that but regained to 160 in late spring and hovered there for pretty much the rest of the year. This is a success after my previous struggles for sure, but I'm going to start calorie tracking again to try to get further under 160 again.

18. Knit 6 pairs of socks

Success! I made myself 5 and made Dave 1.

19. Buy a bass flute

Fail, although I did find a flute purveyor and fixer in Maine. He repadded my C flute last month and also recommended some ways to get involved in the flute / wind community in Maine. Playing out again will be on my goals for 2023, and I haven't given up on trying to find a bass flute.

20. Complete CFP continuing education requirements

Success - I was well on my way to achieving the 30 required hours when the ACGA conference in April blew me past my minimum needed. Hooray.

21. Visit ten lighthouses

Success, in fact we probably visited a few more. We found a "best of" lighthouse list and ticked them off as the year went on, with the last being the West Quoddy Head Light in the far east. Our favorites were...

Nubble Lighthouse near York / Cape Neddick (March)

Portland Head Light (first visited in April, this is June)

West Quoddy Head Light (September)

22. Weekend trips to Rhode Island and New Hampshire

Success, and we loved them both! We went around New Hampshire in March on a beer tasting trip, then visited Rhode Island in May. The people were friendly and love their state in each case. I especially loved Providence, Rhode Island and could definitely live there someday.

On to 2023!

No comments: