Tuesday, November 15, 2016

40 before 40

Longtime readers of this blog will remember my 30 before 30 list. The list was accomplished with mixed success, although since I turned 30 I did two things I hadn't completed by the age of 30 (get scuba certified and run a 5k). 

It's interesting to look back at that post now as a time capsule - I was on the edge of starting the job that would take me to great places in gift planning at Northwestern University, and I was feeling very thankful for everything I had in my life. (And I didn't know that the next two years would be the most challenging I had ever faced.)

I decided to create an aspirational list for my next big milestone - 40 before 40. It'll be a similar mix of fun and challenging, and will also be a good time capsule of this life era for me. (I also have six years to do it, so the list is both longer and contains some big ticket items.) 

And don't judge me that it sounds very self-centered - I am trying to list items that require me to depend on nothing and no one else, just my own actions.

Without further ado...

TRAVEL

1. Scuba dive in the ocean (Panama? Hawaii? Both?)

2. Stand in Red Square in Moscow

3. Travel to Turkey

4. Visit the Taj Mahal

5. Tour the Dana-Thomas House in Springfield, IL

FOOD

6. Eat at every taco joint on this list

7. Make chiboust

8. Eat at Calumet Fisheries

9. Eat at every Chicago restaurant on this list

10. Visit Al Bawadi Grill and The Halal Guys

HOBBIES

11. Read War and Peace

12. Crochet or knit a sweater I actually like and wear

13. Practice flute and perform someplace publicly

14. Finish the Time-Life World War II series

15. Participate again in NaNoWriMo

16. Complete wine cork tray craft project with saved up corks

HEALTH

17. Complete an Olympic distance triathlon

18. Complete a half marathon at 10 minute mile pace

19. Complete a 5k in under 30 minutes

20. Develop a meditation habit (at least 15 min. / day)

21. Get back to Salzburg weight range

CHICAGO SIGHTS

22. See a Bears game, Bulls game, and Blackhawks game

23. Visit historic Pullman neighborhood

24. Kayak in the Chicago River

25. Take another Chicago Architecture Foundation river cruise

26. Tour new yarn shops of Chicago, like Knit 1 LLC, Nina, and Sister-Arts Studio

CHARITABLE

27. Remain annual fund donor at alma mater institutions (Illinois State and DePaul Law), as well as employer (Northwestern University)

28. Give $100 to the drum bum

29. Serve on a charity's board

30. Earn a volunteer award somewhere

31. Do one race via Team in Training

PROFESSIONAL

32. Speak at a development conference or symposium

33. Author an article in the Chronicle of Philanthropy

34. Speak at DePaul Law about nontraditional legal careers

35. Figure out my next career step

MISCELLANEOUS

36. Start a diary in 2017 and keep it every day afterward

37. Watch Fail-Safe and Dr. Strangelove back to back

38. Watch Seven Samurai and eat sushi

39. Get another tattoo to expand one of my existing ones

40. At least once per month, see a member of my family

No comments: