Sunday, April 07, 2013

Shamrock Shuffle 2013

I volunteered at in start corrals at the Shamrock Shuffle 8K yesterday, and I thought I'd post a few photos and stories.

First off, I had to get up hella early again, which is probably the most common complaint among all the volunteers.  "Remind me again why I need to be in the start corral 'coordinating' runners at 5:30 a.m., when the race doesn't start until 8:15 a.m.?"  


But at least when you are there early, you see everyone run by on the way to their corrals, including these guys, whom I have dubbed either "The Jolly Green Giants" or "The Broccoli Boys" ...



And the tutu triplets:


Then there is this leprechaun, and yes I mean he IS a leprechaun, not that he is dressed as one.


In the waiting, I did also see Dave, a few high school friends that I knew were running, and also one coworker.  I knew a bunch of other people that were running that I didn't get to see, and you can kind of see why it was so hard to meet up with people when you understand that 40,000 runners came to this event:





I have to say, I was disappointed with the volunteer leadership at my start corral.  They were a couple of very quiet women who hardly spoke to us and did not notice all kinds of crazy things going out of control.  Next year I'm going to volunteer as a start corral captain, I'll show them what organization looks like!  (And yes, if you're wondering, I basically took over parts of my corral, because I had to!)

Being around all these fit people makes me want to start running again, or definitely swim at the very least.  I may always hate running, but I can give it another try.  I need to step up my fitness goals if I'm going to keep maintaining, and also losing the last 5 or so pounds.

No comments: