Monday, December 05, 2011

Wedding & croquembouche

This was a weekend that I've been looking forward to for a while - not just because my friends were getting married, but also because I was in charge of making their desserts!

The happy couple was my friend Chris from law school and Lesley, who he had met on his law school study abroad in London. They did long distance for a while, then she moved to Chicago to live with Chris and work in the field of disability law and public interest. They got married at the St. Vincent DePaul cathedral in Lincoln Park, which I had never been in but was really beautiful.


I said that for their wedding they could have cash, a crocheted afghan, or I'd make their desserts. They picked Door #3, and Lesley requested a croquembouche. I was familiar with them from the Food Network: basically it's a tower of cream puffs drenched in caramel and is popular at Christmas and at weddings. Perfect!

You can read the whole story of the croquembouche here, but needless to say it turned out awesome!


The recipe was by Gale Gand and the only thing I changed was to add cinnamon to the pastry cream. Dave helped me out a lot and was happy to have contributed to my baking success. I got a lot of positive comments at the reception about how delicious the cream puffs were, and to be honest, they really were delicious. Good pick, Lesley!

This was the last wedding of 2011, which makes a total of seven. SEVEN. I took some time during their wedding to reflect on how quickly life changes, but you don't even notice it. I met Chris in 2006, when I started law school. We were both late to the same intellectual property orientation. If you'd told me then that I'd be making his wedding cake in five years, I don't know if I would have believed you.

And when I remind myself that I first met my law school friends FIVE YEARS AGO, it really blows my mind. It feels like I just met these people, yet they have been a part of my life for almost as long as I've been married to Dave. Crazy world.

No comments: