Monday, December 19, 2011

Top 5 things that make Christmas Christmas


Another one from Kate Takes 5!

5. Christmas music

Call me crazy, but I do love Christmas music. Last year I had Christmas music on for about 5 hours while we re-painted our condo. I only got tired of it after they started repeating some stupid ones. But singing along to Christmas songs always puts me in the holiday spirit.

4. Christmas lights in the neighborhood

Especially colored ones, and especially the big, old kind!


3. Buying a Christmas ornament at the Christkindlmarkt

A new tradition for me is to visit the German Christmas market in the Daley Center plaza. It has a lovely tree, bratwursts for sale, and shops that sell crafts and ornaments. Most of it is too expensive for me, but I always pick up an ornament or two.

In past years, I have bought a pickle, a redbird, two mushrooms, a peacock, and a white squirrel. This year, I bought a garlic bulb and another small mushroom. Next year Dave wants a devil head. (Only the Germans.)

2. Decorating the tree

My sister and I always decorate the tree at my parents' house, and I'm happy to help Dave's parents decorate their trees on the years that we are at their house for Thanksgiving. My sister and I would make "I spy" games out of finding Christmas ornaments.

1. Christmas videos with my family


This is the big one, and it isn't Christmas without this. My mom taped a bunch of Christmas shows in the early-to-mid-1980s, and we watch it every year. The tape contains:
I can't even read Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" without picturing the characters as Scrooge McDuck, Mickey Mouse, and Jiminy Cricket. The best part are the commercials, too. They just did things differently in the '80s.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Totally love the fact that you still have and watch the tape. Amazing! He man and Shera - fabulous stuff!