Sunday, October 09, 2011

Marathon + gingerbread

Today was the Chicago Marathon, and I knew not one but three people running it! Two law people and one of my oldest friends, Mike from high school.

The Team in Training folks with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society were setting up some cheering stations, and I joined the one at mile 12.5 (20k). This was on Franklin between Lake and Randolph.

Dave and I got downtown at 7:15. The first marathoners - the crazy ones - started showing up at 9 a.m. They were mostly very fast African fellows, and my fellow cheerer couldn't even get a clear photo of them. They ran as fast as the bikes that paced them!

I did not see the two law ladies, and Dave did not see his coworker. However, I did see Mike! It's kind of easy, though, when you are looking for a thin 6-foot-5 dude in a red shirt!

We stuck around until about 11, when most of the marathoners had passed. We cheered and cheered for the runners in purple shirts - TinT people - and handed out some water, towels, Fritos, and animal crackers. Apparently when you run 26 miles, you need to replenish your salt and calories. Who knew!

The marathon was also a little dramatic this year, although we didn't see any of it. Apparently the winner set a course record, a runner died near the finish line, and a pregnant woman ran at 39 weeks and gave birth immediately afterward. Yikes!

Afterward we came home and hosted a party for some of my girlfriends - the annual gingerbread house decorating party! This year, I got a new type of house, which kind of looked like a coffin-shaped mansion. I didn't go crazy with the candy ecorations this year, instead opting for a thick icing shellack on my roof.

I've got lots of fall activities planned for the next couple of weeks, and the Halloween decorations are up at the house. Soon we'll be carving pumpkins, roasting seeds, and making more apple butter!

No comments: