Saturday, April 30, 2011

Big walk weekend

Today was our biggest training walk yet - 20 miles. This will be a short post, because I'm very tired.

We started out in the Loop, because I had a job fair to attend. I changed into gym shoes and a hoodie and we walked down into the south loop, where I was finally got to visit Loopy Yarns, a high end yarn shop. Dave found some felted dolls that creeped him out...


But I found some beautiful yarn I couldn't pass up:


They were insanely expensive, but at least they were on sale. I plan to make a table runner or something. Whatever I make, it will be beautiful!

After dropping the yarn off at the car and feeding the meter, we walked up to Navy Pier and around, then back again. I didn't really want to go there, as it's one of my least favorite spots in Chicago, but Dave needed to use the facilities, and hey, at least it's pedestrian friendly.


Something funny about Navy Pier, the further you get down the pier, the fewer hugely fat people you see. Most of the really big ones seem to hang out around Bubba Gump Shrimp. I'm telling you, if you're in Chicago and the only place you can think to go is Bubba Gump Shrimp, you might as well not have stepped out of your house today.

Oh, and we saw these funny signs everywhere for the movie "Thor," such as this one, "Yield to THOR."

Then we came home and walked in the suburbs near our place - to the condo and back on the bike path, plus a 2-mile diversion. Total: 20 miles.

We're getting down to the wire now - 5 weeks of training and fundraising left. If you haven't donated, please, donate $20 today in honor of me and Dave walking 20 miles! It was a lot, and we're in a lot of pain, and it's a great cause we're training for.

Oh, and we have to walk 9 miles tomorrow. Gah!

1 comment:

ButtonMad said...

great blog so much interesting reading. loving that yarn you photographed ;-)