Saturday, July 24, 2010

Visiting the south 'burbs

Last night was my 10-year high school reunion, so Dave and I got tickets and went to the southwest suburbs to do some official reuniting.

The event was held at CD & Me in Frankfort. It's a cute venue, and we had a nice tent with a pond and bonfire. I got to chat with some of my long-lost high school acquaintances, although I have to say that the turnout was disappointing. My graduating class was 1,000+ students, and I don't think there were even 150 total in attendance. People in my high school obviously are not interested in attending a reunion.

Dave and I spent the night at my parents' house - how else can you follow up a high school reunion? - and my mom gave me a heap of green peppers, jalapeno peppers, and summer squash from her garden. Awesome.

Since we were already in the south suburbs, we went to Whiting, Indiana for the Pierogi Fest. This little street fight has all sorts of Polish and international food goodies. We got samples of Polish sausage and sauerkraut, but let's not kid ourselves: we were there for the pierogi.

We sampled seven different kinds of pierogi; potato, potato & cheddar, sauerkraut, meat, mushroom, sweet cheese, and blueberry. Mmm. The blueberry one exploded when I ate it, and you could really taste that it was grilled. (The others were fried.)

We also stopped at the Calumet Bakery for some paczki. I got strawberry, Dave got raspberry. They were as big as hamburgers, and I'm not sure we were ready for that. But they were really good.

Sadly, we were too early to get pictures with "Mr. Pierogi," a man in a gigantic pierogi costume. A worker at the fest claimed that Mr. Pierogi was still hungover from last night and probably was just waking up. Oh well.


I'm still glad that we arrived early, because the lines really started getting long by the time we left. We bought some frozen potato-cheddar pierogi and went back to our bunny, who was waiting patiently for his breakfast lettuce. I need to prepare some crochet samples for tomorrow's crochet 201 class at JoAnn, and in general I just need a day to relax at home. But I'll keep thinking of those frozen pierogi in the fridge...

No comments: