Saturday, May 29, 2010

Farmer Sherman's garden

Today Dave and I scuttled to the south suburbs to help plant my parents' newly expanded garden. It was a lovely occupation for such a beautiful day.

My dad had already bought some tomato and green pepper plants, but my mom and I went to Lowe's and Smith Bros. for some more plants. We overbought a bit, but we came home with some more tomatoes and peppers, as well as jalapeno peppers, summer squash, zucchini, and cucumbers.

Of course, we intend to take some of this home when the plants start to fruit in about a month or two, but mainly we wanted to help out my parents, who haven't been super well recently. My dad has struggled with some bronchitis, and my mom's eye isn't clear yet. Regardless, spending the day in the glorious sunshine and working on the garden was the perfect opener to Memorial Day weekend.


Of course, we weren't the only ones who got a bit of outdoors time. At my mom's suggestion, we brought Max in a bottomless cage. (There is a top, thank goodness, because nothing can hold Max in. He jumps over our couches at this point.)

He didn't really like being near the neighbor's dog, but otherwise he was very well behaved and seemed to enjoy the breeze. And, of course, he got to eat his fill of grass.

Unfortunately, he is shedding at the moment, and I brushed him in the yard, sending tufts of hair flying. This was good for local birds, I'm sure, and good for Max, because at least I aired him out a bit and removed a lot of loose fur. Still, he looks like crap. Look at this racing stripe of baby fur on his back:


So, yes, it was a great day, and I look forward to more relaxation this weekend. And, of course, I look forward to beautiful veggies from my parents' garden this summer!

No comments: