Tuesday, December 01, 2009

My first client

I am participating in the Thunderdome Divorce Clinic, cosponsored through the Chicago Bar Foundation, Chicago Volunteer Legal Services, and others. Tonight was our first meeting, and I got to meet with a woman in need of legal help with her divorce. I will be sending her a client acceptance letter this week, making her my first client ever!

It was a really good meeting, and I learned a lot about family law cases. My client was super-prepared, and I hope I can help her get what she needs. I'm going to start drafting divorce documents this week! It's really exciting.

Honestly, I've been having a lot of trouble with imagining myself working in the law. The job search has been largely fruitless, and my friends that do have jobs are working ridiculous hours. But this volunteer opportunity has made me feel good about having a law degree. Even if I end up going into an alternative legal field, I would really like to keep volunteering like this.

Here's to feeling good about being a lawyer!

No comments: