Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Hiatus; see you in 2010!

As most people reading this are probably already aware, Dave and I are flying out to Atlanta for Christmas tomorrow, and from there we're spending a week in Vail, Colorado with my college friends, Julie and Jamison. Thus, we will have spotty access to internet over the next week and a half, and I will not be blogging (or e-mailing) until January 2. When I come back, I'm sure I'll have awesome pictures!

If you check this blog semi-regularly, I'm sure you've noticed that I haven't posted very often lately. This is partly because I've been very busy, partly because I've been doing more posting on my food blog, and partly because I've just been too down to post much. I've been doing volunteer legal work, but the job search is still not going well and I've been very depressed about it. And that kind of thing is not very fun to read about on a blog!

To be honest, 2010 has been a majorly crappy year. True, I did pass the bar and graduate law school, but at the moment, it's hard to see how those things have improved my life. To make things worse, we've had some family health problems this year, including my mom having two surgeries, Dave's aunt coming down with near-fatal diverticulitis, and other assorted maladies. Zelda, my favorite bunny ever, died. And now Dave and I face financial problems due to things that seemed to be good decisions at the time, but turned out not to be: buying a condo and taking out loans for law school. And graduating law school with virtually no income.

On the other hand, there have been other bright spots. We got to go back to Europe again this year, and we added a really amazing bunny to our little family. No year can be entirely crappy. But, if I'm completely honest with myself, this has easily been the worst year of my entire life. I can only hope that 2010 will be better.

Thus, here's a toast to seeing you in 2010, a.k.a. "the year that cannot possibly suck as badly as 2009!"

2 comments:

Sara Sherman said...

This was a hard post to read. It's not like you to be so down. We are used to reading upbeat stories from you. I'm sorry you have not been able to obtain a position with your law degree. How unfortunate, to work so hard and earn your law degree at the worst possible time ever. I wish Dad and I could help you, but we don't have any connections with anyone of importance apparently.
Love you....Mom

Amanda said...

You're right, 2009 is far from the best year on record. Between the deaths of loved ones, surgeries, accidents, and financial worries, 2010 is bound to be better.

I hope you had a blast in Colorado!