Sunday, March 08, 2009

Post-Oscar movie binge

This year, the crop of movies at the Oscars seemed to be a cut above average. It was for that reason that I was disappointed that I hadn't seen more of them before the awards show - only "Milk" and "Wall-E."

Last weekend, Dave and I saw "Slumdog Millionaire" with Rob and Diane, and today we saw "The Reader" with Jackie. Both movies were intensely sad in different ways, and both really made us think. In fact, we spent the car ride after each movie debating about different plot points.

Whenever I see some good movies, it gives me the urge to watch more movies. The movies I have seen recently have been wonderful: not only the ones I just mentioned, but also the BBC mini-series of "Pride and Prejudice" and "Romancing the Stone," which I rented from the library.

Every time I think that humans must be running out of stories to tell, someone proves me wrong. Now I have a huge list of movies to rent from the library, and I intend to watch them over the next few weeks. I'm sure some will be hits and others misses, but I love exploring new ones. (Something has to distract me from the upcoming Illinois bar, right?)

2 comments:

Morgan said...

First, I absolutely loved Milk. I even watched every extra on the dvd.

Second, the version of Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth is the best. Rommel even bought me the box set for our anniversary.

So many good movies!

Unknown said...

Just a note about the BBC version of P & P: the woman who plays the mother does it in quite possibly the most irritating way imaginable. That said, I liked what I saw (the last quarter) of that version.

It was interesting to watch "Slumdog" and "Reader" so soona after one another - The Reader is subtle in all the ways Slumdog is explosive. Just goes to show how many different ways a film can communicate powerful emotions, as long as it does it well.