Monday, January 19, 2009

Tomorrow: a new nation

Tomorrow an event will occur that I have been passively hoping for, and actively working for, for two years. Barack Obama will be president.

I respect him very thoroughly, and I look forward to taking part in the changes that our country is about to undergo. Key to that change is Barack Obama's message of service, the fundamentals of which were voiced by President John F. Kennedy in his inaugural address in 1961: "Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country."

Barack Obama represents a renewal of that idea of service, and I fully intend to participate. Looking forward, I want to do more volunteering, even with my Republican state representative, if I have to. And when Obama's service website expands in the post-inaugural weeks, I intend to host gatherings to knit or crochet scarves to donate to clothing drives and to attend other volunteering events in the area.

I want to help President Obama renew America. YES WE CAN!

No comments: