Sunday, September 14, 2008

The silver lining


Today we were rained out of our second walk of the weekend, the Alzheimer's Memory Walk.

We got to the field this time, but my fellow PBAK-ers had rightly decided that the weather was just too much. Most walkers did, too - the attendance seemed very low, and only about 50-75 people were brave enough to ready themselves at the start line.

Even dogs braved the weather, although I'm sure most of them were loving it, actually. Look at this little guy: I just thought this tiny little dog in his tiny little raincoat was so funny.

Apparently this is a record amount of rain for Chicago, which explains why the field was flooded, roads were closed, and they reversed the flow of the river into the lake. Yikes.

I raised $300 for the walk, which earns me a t-shirt and a yoga mat. Woo! Actually, the t-shirt is my favorite one that I have received for a charity walk, and I have received a fair few.

All in all, it was very disappointing not to be able to walk in these events due to 48 hours of solid rain. These two causes are particularly important to Dave and I, and walking with other participants is always so meaningful to me.

However, there is some silver lining to these stormy clouds: I raised over $500 for leukemia research and $300 for Alzheimer's research. That's $800 going to vital causes, regardless of whether I was able to walk.

Thanks again to all who donated, and we'll hope for better weather next year. You can't win 'em all.

No comments: