Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Who's afraid of the dark?

Yesterday, when Dave and I got home from work/school, we found our condo building to be sans power. That meant that we had to walk down the long, dark windowless hallway to get to our condo before we could get a flashlight or light a candle or anything.

In case anyone reading this does not know, I do not deal well with the dark. I think my overactive imagination has always made me think that the worst
conceivable monster is lurking in the dark closet, or in the shadow behind the door, etc.

To this day, if I have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, I have to turn lights on to walk the ten feet between our bed and the bathroom. Dave appreciates this, I can tell you. (Actually, my fear of the dark is usually alleviated if Dave is around, because somehow I think the monsters will not get me if he is there.)

So, at any rate, the prospect of walking down a 30-foot hallway in complete darkness while trying to locate our door did not please me in the slightest. In fact, Dave led me down the hall while I whined, shrieked, and generally exhibited symptoms of a bona fide panic attack.

Sigh...if we have kids, it will be interesting if I have to try to get them not to be afraid of the dark. It's hard to teach someone to do something you have never learned yourself.

No comments: