Wednesday, September 05, 2007

The Corporate Uniform

Today Dave and I were on our usual commute downtown together, and at the Arlington Heights train station, I noticed that numerous men wore black pants and a light blue shirt. I joked with Dave that the black pants - blue shirt outfit is the "corporate uniform," as it's safe, conservative, and people don't want to think too hard about their outfits in the morning.

Dave started laughing, and when I looked at him, I realized he was wearing black pants and a medium blue shirt! Granted, I had helped him pick the outfit (though I gave him a choice of yellow or blue shirts). But still, it was funny that Dave was wearing almost the same outfit as the corporate folks I was poking fun at.

But seriously, check it out sometime. I would say on any given day, about one sixth to one third of corporate men are wearing black pants and a blue shirt. Kind of like lawyers and gray suits.

No comments: