Sunday, May 06, 2007

Day of enlightenment

Dave and I took a break from finals today to go downtown to hear a talk from His Holiness the Dalai Lama!

I was worried that I wouldn't have time, but I got my constitutional law outline almost polished up yesterday, so I figured I could take a few hours off for some serious enlightenment time.


I was so glad we did. The weather was perfect, the pre-talk music was phenomenal, and his speech was truly inspiring. It was the perfect way to start the summer, and the perfect way to relax during finals.

What was amazing was how human he is. I have always read that the Dalai Lama is very easy-going and humorous, but nothing prepares you for his high-pitched giggle. (The man giggles!) And he made jokes about his baldness, tied his shoes right on stage, and talked about his personal friendships with Mao Tse-dong and George Bush - figures who espouse very different views from the Dalai Lama's stance of non-violent dialogue.

Funniest comment: When asked why he's so happy, even with his country in turmoil, he said, "I don't know - good sleep?"

Most poignant comment: He said that inner peace is a way to protect your happiness from the influences of an uneasy world, and that the purpose of life is to be happy. (Sounds good to me.)

Marital advice: When asked what a spouse should do to maintain inner peace, when they live with someone who is very negative: "I don't know! [Giggle] Well, if you don't have any children, you always have the freedom to divorce."

On the Iraq war: "A problem so complicated will not be solved by the simple solution of war."

What a great man. I hope he can return to Tibet someday - such a great, old soul deserves no worries.

No comments: