Monday, October 16, 2006

Temporary deprivation

Before I get into today's topic, I have a fun story to share: I swear I saw Dougie Howser in the Ogilvie Transportation Center this morning! Weird. Anyway, moving on...

Dave and I knew that we'd be depriving ourselves of a great many things by going to school now - and simultaneously, at that. However, some days I feel the deprivation more acutely than others.

For example, our apartment is basically saturated to capacity, at this point. We try to find new places to store things, but the hard fact is that we are running out of breathing room for our massive, massive amount of crap. It would be nice to get a bigger place, but even if we could, moving would be such a hassle right now - there's no way I have the time to go through (1) finding a new place, (2) closing on the new place, and (3) packing and moving, let alone all the costs associated with those things.

Also, every time I take the train, I see people on their cell phones, and some of them have fancy new Razr phones, in fun colors, with fun ring tones. I don't necessarily know whether I would want a Razr even if I had the money, but it would certainly be nice to have the option.

On Saturday we went to Macy's to spend the remainer of a gift card we'd received for our wedding. All the beautiful Christmas ornaments, and all the adorable decorations at JoAnn right now, make me wish I had the money and space to get a really big fake tree and deck it out as I saw fit.

When you're in school, it almost feels like you're putting a great big part of your life on hold, because you deprive yourself of the money and time to do many of the things that you could be doing if you weren't spending 14 hours a day reading law casebooks. And if you hadn't just spent almost $1,000 on said casebooks, in addition to the $20,000 in loans you just took out.

At this point, I think I may have crossed over into the "cynical" realm about these things. When I hear other people complaining about being too busy to hang out, I just think to myself: if I can do make time for you, and I'm one of the busiest people I know, you can make time, too. It's all about priorities.

If I can make space in my life for someone, I just don't have patience for excuses anymore.

7 comments:

Meesh said...

well, too many americans would rather have a fancy and ridiculously expensive new phone than a good education. just remember, once you get done with graduate school and pay off your loans, you too will be able to spoil yourself with plenty of shit you don't need.

also, im taking four math classes, i did not receive any financial aid what-so-ever, have no job, and will be having an appartment starting this summer. i may not be as stressed and hard up for time and money as you, but i feel your pain at least to some extent. if you ever want to talk to vent, give me a call.

you can do it!!!!!!

Valerie said...

Aww, Chelle, we are in similar boats.

I wasn't really thinking of you at all when I was writing this. I was thinking more of some people I know, who make excuses all the time based on being "too busy" or "too poor," and I just don't have any sympathy for that kind of fakery anymore, at least when I know it's fakery to some extent.

Sara Sherman said...

Valerie, good post, and Michelle, love your comment.
Chelle, like you said, BOTH of you will be out soon and hopefully be able to have time and money to do what you want, that's the joy of earning a good degree.
Valerie, don't worry about all the stuff you can't buy. Dad & I have it, but would trade all for his health. Mom

Sara Sherman said...

ALSO - you didn't even have a cell phone until about a year ago, and I have only have had mine for 2 years. There will always be some people that have to buy the latest gadget, and you just can't keep up with them.
Mom

Valerie said...

Going to Bloomington is fun!

I don't complain about having to go visit people, and try to make lame excuses for not visiting people, like some...people.

Mehal said...

Does being across country count as a valid reason for not visiting?

Valerie said...

Mehal, you are cross country and you still saw our old apartment more than some of our friends who live in the state!