Friday, May 26, 2006

The baby parade

My friend at work, Stacy, is having a baby girl in a few weeks, and today we had her surprise baby shower!

She really was surprised, too; I'm not sure how we managed to keep this party a secret, this being a company that couldn't keep my law school application quiet.

I made her a blanket (picture to follow), a button frame, and I bought her The Very Hungry Caterpillar, one of the most fun books from my childhood.

This event makes me think about two things:

Number one — I'm leaving the company in a few weeks, and I'll miss my coworkers, even though I'm sure I'll see a lot of them again as I visit and perhaps even do some freelance work.

Also, I'm going to miss a lot of life changes for these people, who I have gotten to know very well over the last two years. But, you can't stay at a job just for your coworkers, because then everyone else leaves and you're the last one to quit. I'm already feeling like that, since over half of the artists have quit since I started.

Number two — baby stuff is getting alarmingly cute. Not just the stuff that I made for Stacy, but the adorable little bibs & bonnets & bikinis that other coworkers bought her impending child. (Mother & Mother-in-Law who are potentially reading this — don't get TOO excited, the other day Dave heard me refer to children as "maggot-infested demon spawn.")

I catch myself thinking all too often, "Oh, I can give that to my little girl someday." OK, first of all, if I have kids, I might end up like my poor Aunt Jan, with two boys and no cute little girls to dress up & have tea parties with in the Party Kitchen.

Speaking of which: Yay Party Kitchen! Can you believe this little bit of my childhood is going on eBay for $5.99? Not MINE of course, some other kid's.



Second of all, I might not have kids at all. So, if I don't have kids, then here are some items up for grabs on my will — interested takers might want to notify me in advance so I can make sure you get the good stuff...

My two Mandy dolls

She-Ra Castle, Dolls, & Horse

Very Hungry Caterpillar Children's Book, Cutlery, & China Set

Wedding veil hand-beaded by Mom

Glass wine decanter & goblets from Venice, Italy

"Bobby the Dog" Golden Book

Early 1900s glass mug of great-grandmother Frieda Guhl

Pink glass Christmas ornament of great-grandmother Charlotte Deremer

Pack of hand-drawn playing cards from AP Seminar

"Watership Down" animation production cel

Alvin, Simon, & Theodore chipmunk plush dolls

Jar Jar Binks life-size cardboard cut-out

Stan the Plant (he may outlive me, who knows)

Wow, I have a thing for beautiful glass and great '80s toys. Anyway, maybe some ankle-biter will get all of it someday. For now, I'll just enjoy it all myself, thank you!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i call dibs on the she-ra action figures!! i would also like the veil mom made, but with the way things are going, i don't ever see me getting married haha so i think that someone else would actually get some use out of it. =P

Anonymous said...

Chris said the life size Jar Jar Binks but I said OH the hungry hungry Caterpillar! On a not so happy note we've actually been doing this all weekend because Grandma is back in the hospital and Grandpa is still in the nursing home and both asked all of the kids/grandkids/charities to empty out their home and sell it :(. It's one of the hardest things I've done yet. So, I say keep your stuff b/c your kids will love it (Like your mother/mother in law I hold out hope...you'll melt the second you hold them and Jess and I will love to be Aunts who give them sugar and send them home to Mom & Dad!) Loved this post :) Happy Memorial Day ~Stacy

Anonymous said...

Valerie, I'm surprised you didn't list Rainbow Brite with carrier, Get Along Gang kids and Barbie!!

Michelle, you will wear the veil, and probably sooner than you think.

Mom

Yes, I'm still anonymous!

Valerie said...

I didn't list all my cool old toys, or basically my "will" list would have been a catalog of "what was cool in 1985!" Don't forget the Secret Keepers and those transforming jewel people, and the Smooshies & Fashion Star Fillies!!

Anonymous said...

I call the Two Mandys.
:) Stacy

Anonymous said...

Valerie took her 1 Mandy to Paris with her in high school, and Austria and all over Europe the semester she studied abroad for college. I can't believe she didn't take her on her honeymoon with her. I think Mandy stayed home and cried!!

Valerie said...

Thanks for the guilt trip, Mom - did they put you up to this??? ;)