Tuesday, April 18, 2006

A Trivial Pursuit

Haven't written for a few days, thought I would post an update.

Easter was fun - Dave and I (along with my cousin and his date) beat my family in Trivial Pursuit! Yes, we're a force to be reckoned with when it comes to useless knowledge that no one cares about...

Also, last night Dave got a call from Ed, who asked him to be his groomsman! Apparently Ed's best man had to bow out because his military leave was revoked, so there was a bit of shuffling and Dave, as the secret "alternate" groomsman, got to step up to the plate! (I knew months ago that this might happen, and I kept it quiet all this time! I can't believe it!)

My friend Mike's birthday was yesterday - I sent him an e-card entirely in German. I think he got a kick out of it. He's having a birthday party this weekend, and hopefully I'll be able to go!

I also started a new book this week - Freakonomics by Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner. It's really interesting, in that the authors apply economic tools to dissect phenomena in everyday life, like real estate agents screwing their own clients out of tens of thousands of dollars on the sale of their homes, or legalized abortion contributing to the drop in the crime rate during the 1990s.

Quote of the Day:

"How selfish soever man may be supposed, there are evidently some principles in his nature, which interest him in the fortune of others, and render their happiness necessary to him, though he derives nothing from it, except the pleasure of seeing it." - Adam Smith, quoted from Freakonomics

(I doubt this is the last time I quote from this fantastic book...)

No comments: