Saturday, March 25, 2006

Ebay sales & the Old Man & the Sea

Well, I sold my first item on eBay! See this cute cat salt & pepper shaker set? I am about to ship it to...kat29321! Woo hoo! The infamous glittery place card holders didn't sell, so I guess I'll have to re-post them at a lower price.

In other news, today I bought a new hanging plant! I have always thought the purple & green Wandering Jew plants are so pretty, but I've never bought one until now. I'm thinking of naming her Clover, after a character in Watership Down.

Speaking of books that I've owned forever but never read until recently, I am also reading "The Old Man and the Sea" by Ernest Hemingway. It's an easy read, and honestly I didn't think I'd like it that much, or be affected by it that much, especially since Hemingway's writing style is so rugged. However, read the following passage, which tugged at my heart strings in an unexpected way despite Hemingway's frightening lack of commas:

"He remembered the time he had hooked one of a pair of marlin. The male fish always let the female fish feed first and the hooked fish, the female, made a wild, panic-stricken, despairing fight that soon exhausted her, and all the time the male had stayed with her, crossing the line and circling with her on the surface. He had stayed so close that the old man was afraid he would cut the line with his tail which was sharp as a scythe and almost of that size and shape. When the old man had gaffed her and clubbed her, holding the rapier bill with its sandpaper edge and clubbing her across the top of her head until her colour turned to a colour almost like the backing of mirrors, and then, with the boy's aid, hoisted her aboard, the male fish had stayed by the side of the boat. Then, while the old man was clearing the lines and preparing the harpoon, the male fish jumped high into the air beside the boat to see where the female was and then went down deep, his lavender wings, that were his pectoral fins, spread wide and all his wide lavender stripes showing. He was beautiful, the old man remembered, and he had stayed."

No comments: