Friday, October 26, 2018

First work travel: California!

In October I took my first work trip ever! It seems weird to say that, because Dave takes work trips all the time, so I thought I had taken one, but really I have only done special travel to Chicago for work conferences up until this point. And California is as good a destination as any, and probably better than most!

The trip started off on the right foot - or paw, actually. I boarded the plane and there was a French bulldog sitting in my row! The owner offered to put him in his carrier if the dog bothered me, but I said no way!

I got to pet him the whole way, and he even laid in my lap and fell asleep at one point. He was really cool. I know this breed has problems with breathing and overbreeding and stuff, but he was a really laid-back little dude.

Meanwhile, my boss is texting me from two rows up to ask what the heck is going on with me and the dog. Clearly she can see I make friends everywhere!

Obviously we got to see some beautiful L.A. sights while we were visiting donors; they tended to pick nice neighborhood spots where we could see sunsets, etc.

Pier in Manhattan Beach, CA
I had a lot of fun meeting donors and getting to know them, although the constant socialization taxed even this extrovert. It was a pretty full trip, and they won't all be like that. 

I tried to soak in all the sunshine I could though! I specifically brought my Koi Pond shawl because of its beautiful golden colors for fall, as well as the blue for Saint Mary's. 


Also, one donor wanted to meet us in Pasadena, whose town hall stands in for Pawnee, Indiana's in the show Parks & Rec! Both my boss and I are fans, so we made sure to get a photo op.

I am totally a Lesley Knope.
Pasadena also has a cool library where I was able to do some work while waiting for our meeting. I always make it a point to tour public libraries on vacation or work travel, as I serve on the local library board here in my town. I don't know why more people don't think to do this on vacation - the buildings offer free AC / heat, free bathrooms, free WiFi, and local flavor. 

I think that people think they aren't welcome unless they are a local card holder. I assure you that this is not the case! I plop down wherever I am and no one says a word. Libraries are open to all.

We had one donor visit in Solvang, which is solidly in wine country. It was nice to see Solvang again after visiting in 2015 on our little "Sideways" tour. It made me want to go back again! Plus the donor's house was absolutely beautiful and gave me retirement goals.

On a morning walk in Solvang

I learned a lot on my first donor trip, and I'm so glad my boss was there to share knowledge and experience with me. Next time I definitely need to plan locations better so I don't spend so much time in the car (although it wasn't that bad), and I also need to build in restorative time for myself. All those visits is a lot in one day, even for me!

Next up is Utah and New Mexico in November!

No comments: