Monday, July 02, 2018

Resolution progress 2018

I can't believe 2018 is already halfway over. Since I posted my 18 resolutions for 2018 here in late December, I'll recap my progress so far:

True resolutions:

See a member of my family every month: this is the only one I can say I am 100% on. Usually I have seen them more than once, too.


Practice languages on Duolingo every day: I missed two days while I was on vacation in Quebec and forgot, but otherwise this is 100%.


Meditate for 10-20 minutes daily: mixed success. I was doing better earlier on in the year with this one. I need to be more deliberate about this.


Listen more, talk less: hard to quantify - I still tend to effuse and steamroll people in conversations, but I am trying to do that less, to ask more questions, etc.


Get rid of more stuff around the house, organize what I have: Fair success. Donated about a box a week for the first quarter of the year, need to focus on home organization now.


Organize yarn projects, clear out my Ravelry queue (currently at 24 items): I have tried to finish two projects a month from the queue, and I'm currently at 17 items, all of which have deadlines, so I think there has been progress. I didn't complete any for June, but I doubled my goal to four projects for July to catch up.


Eat more vegetables, bake more bread: definitely a success; the CSA helps with the veggies, and I have been baking more bread and treats this year. I need to make more bread than sweet things, but there is just so much delicious fruit and chocolate and maple in the world.


Be more of a cheerleader for others: mostly did really well; had two especially good months where I nominated a coworker for employee of the year and got 25+ people to sign onto the nomination (she didn't get it) and helped two people at work find new jobs.


Hang out with the bunnies more, give lots of attention: mixed, mostly failing. It is sometimes hard to fit them into our lives anymore. It is also challenging because they STILL have not bonded sufficiently that Mulberry won't attack the new guy if he's in her territory. Very frustrating, so I avoid hanging out with them. That needs to change if we want to socialize / bond them.

Emphasize lifting weights more: have been progressing well on this and planned to start a Stronglifts 5x5 reboot in July, but I think I injured my back while doing a deadlift in early June and I've been too afraid to do anything but bench press for a while (although I'm lifting more than I've ever lifted before there, so I consider this one a success!)


Goals:

Get back to college weight: mixed, mostly fail (or it feels like it). I got down to the high 150s in March-April, then ballooned back up 10 lb. to the high-mid 160s after the Cuba trip. Made some more progress, then had two short foodie trips in a row to Montreal and Austin, so I am hovering around 162 at the moment. Really thought I'd be in the 150s for summer - oh well.

Bake a yule log: planned for December.

Run a 5k race in under 30 minutes: got close in May (two tenths of a second, grr), planned for fall.

Complete German course on Duolingo: planned for July.

Visit the historic Pullman neighborhood in Chicago: completed yesterday, July 1! It was really cool to see. We took a guided tour with my high school buddy, Mike, whose parents grew up in Pullman.


Restored clock tower building
Scan Salzburg College photos and post online to share with friends: completed in February; also got together with some of the Salzburg College peeps in Chicago.

Finish A Song of Ice and Fire book series on audiobooks: completed in May. Enjoyable series, but books 1 and 3 are the best and the others are mixed.

Complete another race on vacation: completed in June; ran a 5K in Montreal to raise money for women's health!

The swag was amazing. Those darn Canadians.

Even for someone who watches her time as much as I do, I can't believe how much of the year has passed and how little I feel I have to show for it. The failures on the weight front and bunny bonding are especially disappointing. I am doubling down my efforts on the weight, especially since I have no travel for the next few months, and I feel hopeful that I can make my goal of 155 lb. by August 31!

No comments: