Sunday, December 31, 2017

Resolution recap for 2017

It's time for my annual resolution run-down. Here were my resolutions for 2017:

  • Run a half marathon
  • Yarn bomb something
  • Bake a yule log
  • Crochet a yule log and share pattern on Ravelry
  • Say more positive things and less critical things
Well, I am about 50-50% on this one. 

Half marathons: I did run a half marathon - two, actually. One in May, one in September. I don't know if that's my distance - it was a little on the lengthy side for me, so I'm going to focus on increasing my speed for short-distance races for 2018.

Yarn bomb: I didn't yarn bomb something myself, but I did submit squares for a yarn bombing at Women and Children First Bookstore in May. So although I think that counts, I still want to yarn bomb something myself.

Bake yule log: I was all ready to this Christmas, but my in-laws baked way too many sweets for our visit, and by the time Christmas came, none of us really wanted a yule log. Something to put on my goals for 2018.

Crochet a yule log: I am not sure why I wanted to make this so badly, but I don't know what I would do with it, so I decided not to make it. Maybe someday in the future, not 2018 though.

Be more positive, less critical: I tried on this one, I really did. I think I improved overall, but only my friends, family, and coworkers could really assess my progress on this one. 



Resolutions for 2018

I was hanging out with someone yesterday who mentioned a challenge to complete 18 resolutions for 2018. (Inspired by Gretchen Rubin perhaps? Not sure.) I'm nothing if not a joiner and a list-maker, so here it goes for 2018:

  1. Resolution: See a member of my family every month
  2. Resolution: Practice languages on Duolingo every day
  3. Resolution: Meditate for 10-20 minutes daily
  4. Resolution: Listen more, talk less
  5. Resolution: Get rid of more stuff around the house, organize what I have
  6. Resolution: Organize yarn projects, clear out my Ravelry queue (currently at 24 items)
  7. Resolution: Eat more vegetables, bake more bread
  8. Resolution: Be more of a cheerleader for others
  9. Resolution: Hang out with the bunnies more, give lots of attention
  10. Goal: Get back to college weight
  11. Goal: Bake a yule log
  12. Goal: Run a 5k race in under 30 minutes
  13. Goal: Complete German course on Duolingo
  14. Goal: Visit the historic Pullman neighborhood in Chicago
  15. Goal: Scan Salzburg College photos and post online to share with friends
  16. Goal: Finish A Song of Ice and Fire book series on audiobooks
  17. Goal: Emphasize lifting weights more, in conjunction with cardio
  18. Goal: Complete another race on vacation
Note that I have separated the items into true resolutions - general, self-improvement oriented statements with no clear endpoint in mind - and goals - specifically achievable items. I feel like I haven't been as clear about that in the past with my new year's resolutions.

No comments: