Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Why, 2012?

If you'll pardon my language, this year has been the shittiest year that ever shat.  First, I had to find a new job, then Dave's best friend died, then my dad died, and then my aunt died yesterday.  And the year isn't even half over yet.

On top of everything else that has happened, the car broke down yesterday on my commute home.  I barely had time to text Dave my location before my cell phone went dead, but he called AAA and I got a tow.  Everything worked out, but seriously, full moon or what?


When things are going this badly in general, the hardest thing for me to wrap my head around is that it won't always be like this.  (Or at least I hope it won't.)  On my bitterest days, I start to feel like because my dad is no longer with us, that all the best times in my life are behind me.



The one upside to this year is that I have started a wonderful career at Northwestern, and I'm really enjoying it.  It's the first time I've ever felt like saying the word "career," too.

I need to remind myself of something my dad said.  One of his brothers had said to my dad that the brother's best time in life was high school.  My dad told me that was the stupidest thing he'd ever heard, and that he felt sorry for his brother, because the best time in my dad's life was happening "right now."  I need to remember that there will be good times ahead, and eventually people will stop dying all around me and I can just go back to living a normal life.  (Please?)

No comments: