Saturday, June 30, 2012

Back to the farm

Today was my first opportunity to get back to my lovely farms in Marengo and Cherry Valley.  And it was glorious.




First, we stopped at Susie's Garden Patch, a wonderful little vegetable farm.  We picked broccoli and some reclusive cauliflower:




We also got some large heads of cabbage and a bunch of garlic and garlic scapes.  Pulling the garlic out of the ground is so satisfying.  And look at this beautiful cabbage!




This was the first time I've picked any of these things (except the garlic) at Susie's, and she also had big, beautiful heads of lettuce.  You had better believe I'm having that for dinner tonight!  (With Dave, of course...)


When we got home, I trimmed the broccoli and cauliflower and gave the bunny the leaves.  He is very happy right now.


Next stop is my other happy place, Valley Orchard, which is offering some really amazing blueberries and raspberries at the moment.




We picked two large bags of blueberries, four pints and one quart of raspberries, and one pint of red currants.  I'm going to make some bitchin' strawberry red currant jam again this year.  (Now to find some tasty little strawberries at the farmers' market tomorrow...)


It was really great to get back to the farms and be in the sunshine all morning. I guess the bunny isn't the only happy camper right now.

1 comment:

Cactus@CactusFacts.com said...

Looks like you guys had fun! Thanks for the write up! :)