Monday, October 11, 2010

Wisconsin Uplands: Day 3


Last day in Wisconsin, and they day we returned home.

For our last breakfast, our B&B hostess prepared a fruit granola parfait, a streusel muffin, ricotta-stuffed raspberry French toast, and a citrus sorbet. I figure at this point I should include a photo of her beautiful dish: she includes flowers in her cooking. Unlike most of my B&B cohorts (all guests eat breakfast together), I ate my flower. Mmm.

I really enjoyed the B&B experience. It was nice to meet other guests, but still have privacy. We had our own bathroom, which was good, and obviously having breakfast made for us - up to my own cooking standards - was awesome.

Plus, you get really great local info. Our hostess clued us in about a really great chocolate shop, Candinas, in Verona. I picked up a really great truffle assortment for myself and my mom, who was watching the bunny. It was very, very good stuff. In the store, we tasted the caramel brittle truffle, but I can't wait to try the rest. It reminded me of Teuscher truffles.

Then we visited the other chocolate shop on our list today - THE SWISS COLONY OUTLET STORE.


This is my mother ship. I have seen them on the Food Network, mainly for their Christmas mail order catalog. It includes all manner of kitschy things, such as Yule logs in the winter, but I bought some sausage, coffee, and a strawberry-shaped cookie jar. Awesome.

On our way home, we saw more cows, even in Illinois. This was a particularly cute scene.


On our way home, I picked up some bags of golden delicious and Fuji apples from my beloved Valley Orchard, which was on the way. I was so excited to pick up the bunny and see him again, though he was not thrilled to get back into his carrying box. Time to get going on laundry and putting all of our newly purchased foodstuffs away!

Dave and I both agreed that it was one of our best vacations ever. We'll have to go again, maybe in spring when the roses are out at our B&B. (And maybe New Glarus Brewery will have a new R&D brew!)

No comments: