Monday, July 05, 2010

St. Louis, Day 3

For our last morning in St. Louis, we had a tour scheduled at the New Cathedral, a spectacular castle-like cathedral with a mosaic-speckled interior.


Look at this thing: this entire interior is covered with mosaic tiles about the size of your pinky.


It was truly a glorious sight, and the whole thing shimmered brightly as you walked around. I remembered this, like the Old Cathedral, from my childhood trip to St. Louis with Girl Scouts, but this is even better than I remember.

Did I mention that there are two Tiffany windows at each end of the church? These things are gorgeous.

I have to say, the Old Cathedral wasn't as impressive as I remember, but I think that's just because I hadn't been to as many churches when I was a kid. But this cathedral is so pretty, it almost makes me want to be Catholic. (OK, not really, but still.)

We learned all kinds of things from our tour guide, who answered all our questions with patience. We learned about the prankster German mosaic artist, Tiffany's installations, and the various cardinals and bishops who had worked in the cathedral since it was built in the early 20th Century.


After our tour was over, it was on the road again for us. We thought about stopping to pick some raspberries, but we couldn't get any farmers to answer our calls. Pssh.

When we got back home, the bunny seemed happy to see us. (OK, not right away, because he hates the carrier, but he was happy once he got home.) We also finished the book on CD of Anne of Green Gables, which pretty much lasted the whole trip. It was OK, but I think I would have enjoyed it more as a kid. I certainly had Anne's imagination, and I probably would have found her less annoying back then.

Back to work after a long weekend, but at least that means a short week!

No comments: