Sunday, July 11, 2010

Camping in Wisconsin

This weekend we went camping at Harrington Beach State Park in Wisconsin, just north of Milwaukee. We've been meaning to break in the tent, and Dave found this cool campground, which is in a state park and has some really private camp sites.

Ours was a "walk-up," which means that we had to park the car and then walk about a quarter mile from the car to our site. It might sound like a lot of work, but look at this gorgeous, isolated camp site:


It's right near Lake Michigan, so the first night, we walked through mosquito-infested woods and past this glassy pond...


On our way back, we came upon a lovely little field of Lazy Susans, just as the sun set. You could say this was a little idyllic.


We made dinner over the fire, and with my friends' propane stove. It was really nice to have a camp fire, and I set a nice log cabin one up.


We were pretty much out in the middle of nowhere, so we got to see lots of stars in the night sky. And we could even see them through the mesh roof of our tent! I slept a little fitfully, given that we were directly on the ground in cushy sleeping bags.

The next morning Dave tried to make coffee with a percolator, but it was really weak because we just didn't boil it enough. I made breakfast, and then we went to the beach.


Yeah, you can tell that Dave needed this weekend away.

Dave and I might have looked like a couple of dorks walking around all weekend with our hefty copies of Lord of the Rings and Gone with the Wind (you can guess who's reading what). I'm nice and tanned right now, or at least as tan as I get, and I'm also covered with mosquito bites.

We got rained out on Saturday, so we headed home early, but I still loved our day of camping, and I'd totally go to that park again. It was nice not to be looking into fellow campers' sites, like in other places I've been, and it was fun to forage for kindling and run into beavers and rabbits as neighbors. Maybe we'll book the site for Labor Day...

No comments: