Monday, December 01, 2008

Thanksgiving in West Virginia

We went to West Virginia this year for Thanksgiving, and since airline prices are so high (and gas prices are, for the moment, so low), we drove down. Our new route was short - only about eight hours from my parents' house - and we got some cheap gas along the way:


When was the last time you got a gallon of gas for $1.47? Circa 1999, maybe?

So, there was plenty of wildlife at Dave and Deb's house. First, there was the bird feeders, which hosted a variety of cardinals, finches, and others.


Then, there was John & Kerry's dog, Ati, who is an adorable rescued mix who lives with them in Atlanta. She is the sweetest dog, and she heartily enjoyed watching Big Dave tear up the turkey meat.


We had a great spread, including the usual players (turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, stuffing, sweet potatoes, and cranberry sauce) and also some unusual ones, like broccoli casserole and my contribution: Brussels sprouts lardons. (The kids even asked for more of the Brussels sprouts! It is a very good recipe indeed.)


Of course, the best part of Thanksgiving isn't the food: it's spending time with family. We got to spend time quality time with Dave's parents, including my shopping spree with Deb on the day after Thanksgiving.

I also got to teach Dave's cousin, Mary, how to make no-sew fleece blankets! I love making these.


We bought some fleece on the cheap at JoAnn's post-Thanksgiving sale. I made a butterfly pattern blanket for my friend, Diane, to thank her for bunny-sitting. Mary got plaid patterns for her sons.

All in all, a pretty relaxing weekend! I can't fully relax, of course, with exams looming over my head in the next few weeks, but it was a peaceful weekend all the same.

1 comment:

Sara Sherman said...

Gee, I've granbunny sat and didn't get a fleece blanket! Just kidding Valerie, I have enough blankets, I just couldn't resist the jab. Mom