Saturday, June 16, 2007

Them!!

They have come.


Cicadas. They're back. (Eeeuuugggghhh.)

I have been dreading their return since 1990, when my first summer at Girl Scout day camp was invaded by these creepy crawlies. We spent the whole week screaming and swatting them off each other in the forest preserve. It was a generally scarring experience.

Thankfully, they haven't made much headway in the northwestern suburbs, where we now live, nor have they invaded my parents' house in New Lenox.

However, they are quite prevalent in the northern suburbs, so every time I have
made a run to my professor's house to drop off some documents, I can hear them in the trees. (Eeeuuugggghhh.)

In fact, yesterday one flew at my car and hit the windshield (undoubtedly dive-bombing it to make a crack large enough for his comrades to breach), and I screamed for quite some time alone in my Honda.

Some people get quite into the cicada invasion.


In fact, my law school friend Joe caught six cups of them and cooked them up for himself and a few others. Not something I would do, but I bet it was interesting.

Anyhow, they're going to be gone in a few weeks. It's strange to think that these are the sons and daughters of the ones who terrorized my life some 17 years ago. What will be happening when the sons and daughters of these guys sprout up 17 years from now?

Only time will tell.
(Eeeuuugggghhh.)

1 comment:

Julie said...

Ick...that top picture of the cicada is so gross...but so completely realistic. I'm glad I haven't seen any around Bloomington yet (knock on wood). Lol, I had a nightmare about cicadas and fleas invading last night.